Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Indonesia- day 9

Day 9 Tues 8/4
A lot of the travelers in Ubud come here to further their yoga knowledge. I tried out yoga a couple times in high school and never loved it, but since Ubud is known for their yoga and they have a ton of yoga places, we had to do it before leaving. We went to an intro to yoga class at the Yoga Barn that overlooked a scenic pond and greenery. For the first twenty minutes, Carlos, our teacher, talked to the class and taught us a soothing meditation song that went along with his guitar. The class lasted for an hour and forty five minutes and when it was over my muscles felt stretched and relaxed. For lunch we went to Kafe and I had a fruit plate with a smoothie. My travel doctor would not have been too happy. In Bali, I have really enjoyed trying out all the different fruit juices and smoothies they have. I like papaya juice a lot and had a great omega 3 smoothie at lunch. We took a long walk to find the rice paddies today, that are also really popular in Ubud. Ill admit, I'm glad Maggie dragged me out there. The rice fields stretched for miles and miles and walking paths weaved through the fields. Before walking through, I experienced my first coconut drinking experience. The man that sold us the coconut chopped it off the limb, cut the top and bottom, and handed us a coconut with a straw in it to drink the coconut water. Typically, about two steps into our walk through the rice paddies, I fell into some mud and ended up with a muddy sock and shoe the rest of the day. Some parts of the rice fields had building construction in process, and the materials were brought to the construction site from the women carrying them on their heads. Its crazy to think that people still have daily routines that involve transporting things over their heads. Some of the really talented women could do it with no hands. Afterwards, I went running around the soccer field in the middle of the village. In one corner of the field, all the local kids were playing and another traveler that was standing on the street looking in, was taking pictures of me as I ran through the kids. I felt like I was one of the local people that we've been taking pictures of all week. At the field, there was a European boy, about 10, on his bike, that I raced around the field and a local old man who talked to me every time he passed going the opposite direction. The people of Bali are really kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment