Saturday, September 8, 2012

Indonesia- day 12

Day 12 Fri 8/7
Beach day. The room we are staying in served us breakfast in the morning and I had some delicious banana pancakes. Since Gili Trawangan island has a bunch of scuba places, I thought it would be a good idea to try it out while we were here. I signed up for discover scuba, which included instruction, pool scuba practice, and one dive. I liked the six people in my group: Rajj, a girl from Canada who we had lunch with, two guys from England, and a blonde couple. I went through the instruction and got in the pool. I really didn't like it at all. The whole time we were doing practice skills in the pool, I felt like I was gasping for air through my air tank, my googles kept filling with water, and my ears were suffering in the two meter deep pool. I decided today wasn't a good day to scuba dive and didn't force myself any further. I was only charged half price, and if I feel like I should've gone through with it later on, there will be plenty of more places I can try again. Maggie and I spent the rest of the day lounging on the beach, finding the comfiest open chairs we could on the sand until comfier ones opened up and we'd grab them. We did happy hour with three guys from Holland and Whales. They gave us the tip to avoid malaria, drink gin and tonics. Funny. When we returned to our room we met two Americans from New York, Sarah and Andrew. It was really weird that there were more Americans here. We went to dinner with them to Blue Marlins, a restaurant they recommended on the beach, and afterwards headed to a Reggae bar. The bar played really good songs, some nonreggae songs that they just added a guitar to and called it reggae. We danced and one local who was there was dancing with a full cup on her head, while drunk and smoking. Afterwards, Maggie and I went to Rudy's, the party place on the island, and found out it was just like a club, packed all the way from the bar to the beach. They only have one kind of beer on the island, Bintang, in two sizes, small and large. Maggie is trying to get me into it, but it hasn't worked thus far. Good day. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!

No comments:

Post a Comment