Wednesday, August 29, 2012

South Korea - days 2&3

Day 2 Tues. 7/28
I have arrived, luckily. Through the typhoon that is supposed to be hitting any time this week, it was a miracle that the plane landed. It was a super rough landing. I got to the airport around 7, exchanged currency, got through customs and luggage, and got on the train to Gimpo. Unfortunately, when I finally got in touch with Maggie, she was at Incheon, so I waited at the train station for about an hour for her to come back and meet me. Asia reminds me a lot of Madrid, in the way the streets are set up and the way the streets look. After car, plane, train, and bus, I finally made it to my sister's apartment. It was pretty exciting, because I hadn't seen Maggie in a year. Around 11 Maggie took me to my first Korean meal, her favorite, Korean BBQ. It was pretty cool because we had a grill in the middle of our table and cooked our own pork. I tried kimchi for the first time, which was a little spicy, but tasty. Maggie's coworker Sam came and ate with us for the end of the meal. It was fun to meet her first friend. Sometimes I forget to think about her friends since she's in Korea. We went home and got to sleep around 12:30.

Day 3 Wed. 7/29
Woke up around 10. Went to another good Korean meal and ate bulgogi, a soup with beef and rice and egg noodles in it. After, we walked through the outdoor market, which was cool, but smelled pretty fishy. Around 12:40 we went to 7/11 and gave some of her students parents some "giveaways", then she showed me the school, and I went on another so successful jog up a mountain at the end of her road. I went back to her place, showered, then went to visit her at school. The kids were very cute. She taught seven classes, all at different levels. Six of the classes were more intermediate and the last class was advanced, called Chung dahm. The kids all looked shocked when I walked into the room, which was fun, but in a lot of the classes, I felt like I was repeating a lot. For one of her classes, she left to go to a meeting, and I got to teach the class for twenty minutes, which I loved. She finished up at her English academy at 10 and we went to eat with a lot of Maggie's friends afterwards. One of her best friends, Kayti, also finished up her teaching in Korea this semester and it was a pretty sad goodbye. Sam was also there tonight, along with some of her other good friends, Carla, Brynn, Joseph, Alex, and Sam. There were about twenty of us, and we ate another Korean dish. It was a lot of rice and seaweed, mixed with some Korean noodles. There was also some delicious pork served with it and we got beer with it as well. Afterwards, we went and sat on some non flowing fountain stairs overlooking the highways with her friends. It was really pretty and a good time for Maggie's last night with all friends and my introduction to her friends. It started raining a little bit and we moved under the wooden shelter nearby. It was really fun and everyone said their final goodbyes. I really like her friends, they were from all over, a lot from different states. All of them were really funny and outgoing, what else to expect from people willing to teach English in Korea. We took a ten minute cab ride home with Sam, back to Maggie's apartment around 4:00 am. Overall, would say it was a great first night out in Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment